Bomb Threat Emergency
If you or someone in your organization receives a bomb threat, please do the following:
- Handle the call immediately. It is important that you keep a CALM voice.
- Note the telephone number or line the call is received on and caller ID information.
- Obtain as much information as possible from the caller. Ask the caller to repeat the message, particularly the location of the bomb, time of detonation, etc. NOTE: Complete the Bomb Threat by Telephone Data Sheet.
- Write the message using the exact words of the caller.
- Listen for background noises that may provide a clue as to where the call is originating.
- Pay attention to the voice of the caller so that you may be able to identify it should you hear it again. Listen for accents, dialects, speech impediments, etc.
- Upon receiving a bomb threat, immediately call 911 to report the threat.
- Call the Tenant Service Center at (703) 769-1250.
- Advise your Office Manager or Supervisor of the threat.
- Meet emergency service personnel responding to your location.
- Leave the building, if you feel it is necessary.
- Tenants notified of a bomb threat should determine if any suspicious or unusual objects exist within their premises.
- The importance of not touching any suspicious package or article cannot be stressed enough. Explosive devices may appear in a recognizable form, or they may be very sophisticated, disguised so they will not be easily discernible.
- The local authorities will remove the suspicious object.
- Do not assume that there is only one suspicious object.
- If a suspicious object is found, do not use any equipment that emits radio waves.